
We're going to garden this year. We began, okay, Logan began about a month ago by dismantling part of the deck, which he used to make two raised planter beds, and using his handy dandy dump trailer brought in mulch, manure and topsoil. I want to can tomatoes this year, therefore all the tomato plants.

Last week while we were walking around the yard, I about stepped on a bird and noticed she would move ahead a few feet and wait for us to follow and move a few more feet. Not being too dumb and using our super duper power of deductive reasoning, we realized she must have a nest close by, but we assumed it was on the slope slide of our back yard, hidden in the weeds and out of view.

Her nest is just feet from the planter beds, in the rocks, out in the open, exactly where Logan parks the trailers.
(See the first picture, she's circled in red). To say the least, she was very uncomfortable with us working in the garden today. She eventually settled down, but if we walked directly towards her nest she would cry out and try to lead us away. I hope she gets use to us, as I was reading about the bird,
(Killdeer) the eggs hatch in about 28 days and nest for a month afterwards.
5 comments:
Those eggs look huge, much bigger than the bird. Hopefully they'll hatch soon so that they live and leave. Good luck with the gardening. I can't til I can start a garden, well I can't wait til I have a garden that actually produces good food.
So I guess dad will have to find a new place to park his trailers for a while.
Awesome look'n planter boxes dad!
With my brown thumb, I would expect to produce green leaves and not much more. The eggs are small, I just zoomed in on them, the rock are road gravel size.
Good for you! Looks like it will be a great garden. Great design!
Why would that bird buid her nest in the rocks?
I don't know why they build their nests where they do. When I googled them, it appears that they like the rocks, maybe the eggs are a little more camoflaged? Plus they have a clear view of what's happening? One picture I saw the nest was between the railroad ties of a train track.
Post a Comment